Miller Center

The Holton Society

The Miller Center’s Holton Society was created by resolution of the Governing Council and Foundation Board at their joint meeting in April 2014, to recognize long-standing friends and supporters who have dedicated their time, talent, and treasure to support the work of the Center. The Society is named in honor of Governor Linwood Holton, Chairman Emeritus of the Center’s Governing Council. During his tenure as governor of Virginia, Linwood Holton personally orchestrated negotiations between Burkett Miller and the University of Virginia that resulted in the Center’s creation as an independently-governed affiliate of the University. Governor Holton chaired the Center’s Governing Council from 1977 to 1999 and remains a lifetime member of the Council.

The creation of the Holton Society is a tribute to him, as well as to former Council members and dedicated friends, whose interest and expertise have sustained the Miller Center over the course of its history. 

Linwood Holton, Jr.

A. Linwood Holton, Jr. was governor of Virginia from 1970 to 1974. He is now a member of the government relations team for the Richmond, Virginia-based law firm of McCandlish Holton PC. Governor Holton has served previously as president of the Center for Innovative Technology, vice president and general counsel of the American Council of Life Insurance, and as a member of Amtrak's board of directors. He is also a former chair of the Metropolitan Washington Airport and the Republican Governors Association. He is chairman emeritus of the Miller Center Governing Council.

Mortimer Caplin

Mortimer Caplin, a U.Va. School of Law Professor Emeritus, is also a senior partner of Caplin & Drysdale, one of the nation's leading tax firms. He taught tax law at U.Va. from 1950 to 1961, while serving concurrently as president of the ACC. He was the commissioner of the IRS from 1961 to 1964, and upon his departure, the Treasury Department presented him with its Alexander Hamilton Award for "outstanding and unusual leadership." He graduated from U.Va.’s College of Arts & Sciences in 1937 and the School of Law in 1940, where he was editor-in-chief of the law review and the top student in his class.

Daniel K. Frierson

Daniel K. Frierson is the president and chief executive officer of the Dixie Group, an international manufacturer of carpets based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Mr. Frierson also serves as a director of Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, a building materials supplier, and Astec Industries, Inc., an equipment manufacturer for aggregate processing, asphalt road building, and pipeline and utility trenching. He is chairman emeritus of the Miller Center Governing Council.

John W. Galbraith

John W. Galbraith is the retired vice-chairman (1986-1991) of Templeton, Galbraith and Hansberger, Ltd., an investment firm that in 1992 merged with Franklin Resources to form the Franklin Templeton Group (now known as Franklin Templeton Investments). He served on the Miller Center’s Governing Council and Foundation Board from 2002 to 2007. Mr. Galbraith is a former chairman of the Florida International Museum and a former trustee of Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. He and his wife Rosemary were honored for their philanthropy in 2008 when the Miller Center’s Forum Room was named in their honor.

Andrew D. Hart, Jr.

Andrew D. (A.D.) Hart, Jr. was a member of the Miller Center Foundation Board and the Miller Center Governing Council from 2002 until 2012. He is a founding partner and advisory director of Russell Reynolds, a global recruiting firm, from which he retired in 1998. Mr. Hart also held management positions with Westvaco Corporation and Federal Paper Board Company. 

Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr.

Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr. is counsel in the Charlottesville office of law firm McGuireWoods LLP and vice president of McGuireWoods Consulting LLC. Mr. Middleditch, a graduate of the University of Virginia and its School of Law, has served on the University's Board of Visitors and as legal adviser and special counsel to the University. He is also active in the American Bar Association, serving previously as chair of the exempt organizations committee of the tax section, chair of the senior lawyers division, and as a member of its board of governors. He is past chair of the Miller Center Foundation Board.

Edgar J. Roberts, Jr.

Edgar J. Roberts, Jr. is a retired international business executive whose professional life focused on capital market intermediaries, with particular emphasis on international credit and financial markets. He held senior positions in a commercial bank, Marine Midland; two investment banks, First Boston and Lehman Brothers Kuhn Loeb; two development banks, Asian Development Bank and Inter-American Development Bank; and one of the two major bond rating agencies, Moody's Investors Service. Mr. Roberts graduated from Bucknell University and Duke University's School of Law.

Elizabeth Scott

Elizabeth Scott was a member of the Miller Center’s Governing Council from 1988 to 1996. She was a member of the Sweet Briar College Board, president of the Albemarle Garden Club, and vice president of the Garden Club of Virginia. She has also been president of the U.Va. Hospital Auxiliary and a member of the University Development Council. In 2003, in recognition of her long-time support, the Miller Center dedicated its north terrace garden to Mrs. Scott and honored her as the first recipient of the Elizabeth Scott Award for Exemplary Leadership, which is awarded annually. She is also a recipient of the Center’s Burkett Miller Presidential Award. 

Anne R. Worrell

Anne R. Worrell is a former newspaper executive and noted community leader with a strong interest in historic preservation. She and her late husband, Gene, formerly owned Bristol Newspapers, Inc., Worrell Investment Company, and the Worrell Land and Cattle Company. The two also established the Genan Foundation in 1986, and Mrs. Worrell serves as its president. She is also the director of Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest Foundation and the honorary vice chairman of the Virginia Historical Society.